Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pelvic Bones


A trim athletic male student in one of my early morning classes said, “I saw my front pelvic bones for the first time last month!” I was intrigued by his offhand, casual comment. There had to be a story behind that observation. So I asked him about it.

“Where were those bones hiding?”

“Behind fat. I have lost over 100 pounds during the past year.”

Since I, like many, struggle with weight issues, I asked him how he did it and he told me his story:

His father owned a small, old-timey convenience store in a rural area, the kind of establishment that had living quarters in back. When my student was a little boy, his father stayed busy in the store for 16 to 18 hours a day and he stayed in back watching television, eating candy bars and chips and drinking soft drinks all day. He got fat and felt bad about himself, which made him crave the comfort of junk food even more.

When he became an adolescent, he was very much overweight, socially ill at ease, especially around girls, and depressed. That is when he realized that he needed a radical lifestyle change. So he quit sugar cold turkey, tried to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, nuts and vegetables and bought a membership at the gym.

He said the weight dropped off rapidly at first, then more slowly. He explained that he was building muscle and that muscle weighs more than fat.

So, my student’s comment about seeing his pelvic bones for the first time last month told me that it took him a full year to get trim. He had become a normal looking fellow and he now had a steady girlfriend, a real looker.

“What did you have for breakfast this morning,” I asked, having just gorged myself on waffles and sausage.

“I had a bagel with strawberry cream cheese and a tall cup of unsweetened coffee.”

“What will you have for lunch?”

“I plan to have a cheeseburger minus half the bun, no fries, an apple and some skim milk.”

“Dinner?”

“Sour kraut and wieners and lots of it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment